Thursday, January 12, 2012

Former AE Model Releases New Album


Peter Barbee

Among Savages is 25 year old Nashville, TN based artist Peter Barbee. His debut record “Wanderings of an Illustrative Mind” is a personal narrative about the triumphs and trials of youth. A composer from an early age, Barbee’s songs are filled with hushed moments that burst into bold grandiose, as understated as they are hooky. Raised the fifth of six children in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains, he moved to Nashville at the age of 17 and immersed himself in its music community. In 2011, he teamed up with producer Daniel James (Canon Blue) and recorded “Wanderings” over the course of the year. The result is a record that sets tension to beauty, dissonance to the familiar. Among Savage's "Wanderings of an Illustrative Mind" will be released January 17, 2012. 

Among Savages - Start at the Beginning

Peter was featured in our Back to School 2011 Campaign: 'We the People'. We talked with him on the eve of his upcoming album release about modeling, music, and more.


How did you make the crossover from modeling to playing music?
I've never really considered myself to be a 'model'; whereas I've grown up playing music. The AE campaign wasn't as much an opportunity to cross over, it was more an opportunity for the two to join hands and document real people.

When did you discover that music is your passion?
I don't know that there was any one instance in particular. Music was always around our house growing up. I guess more than me realizing it was my passion - it was me realizing the importance of it in the first place.

What are your musical inspirations?

Traveling is huge for me - new experiences. Any opportunity to get out of my own head space magnifies who I am outside of music, then I can figure out what it is that I should be trying to communicate through it.

What music festival would you most want to play at?
I'd love to play Pop Fest in Montreal. It feels less of a festival and more of a classy affair.

What bands would you love to tour with?
I'd love to play with someone as subtle as Bon Iver, as fun as Little Dragon, or as energetic as Arcade Fire.



Sample and download four songs from 'Start at the Beginning' for free