Thursday, May 31, 2012

Employee Profiles: AE Senior Photographer Lauren L.

Do you ever wonder who takes all the amazing photos you see on AE.com? We sat down with Lauren L., AE Senior Photographer last week to find out more about her and the shots she and her team create for AE.

Lauren L., AE Senior Photographer

How did you get your start at AE?
I’m from a small town in Ohio. I got my start at AE about 3 months after I graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I started off in a freelance position, but quickly moved into a permanent position as the AE brand photographer.

How did your passion for photography begin?
My mom was actually a model in New York City in her early twenties. She showed me her print book of all the work she did in New York and Paris, and I was obsessed with the photos! I always thought it would be really great to make images like that one day.

What is the coolest place your job has taken you?
Last month I was sent to NYC to shoot at Pier 59 for our Back to School campaign. I got to work with a huge and amazing team of really talented people. We had a lot of fun and made some really cool photos.

Lauren captured this shot at Pier 59 studios last month.

Where do you find your inspiration?
I find a lot of lighting inspiration in somewhat “weird” fashion editorials. I am always inspired/fascinated by clothing, traveling, and people. My biggest inspiration is meeting other photographers, or people who are very passionate or driven toward something.

What is a typical day like for you?
I don’t really think we have typical days at the studio…One day I can be shooting a model in his underwear, and the next I can be shooting a puppy in a Santa hat for a holiday gift card! That’s what I love so much about my job, it’s always evolving.

If you could photograph anyone or anything in the world, who would it be?
I think the answer to this question is always changing for me, but right now I would love to shoot Lindsey Wixson, or Vincent Gallo. I’d also love to do a shoot in Alaska or Thailand.

A few shots Lauren took during the Spring 2012 photo shoot.

What is your favorite place in Pittsburgh?
My favorite place in Pittsburgh is probably Kennywood or The Andy Warhol Museum. I bring people to both all the time.

What is your personal style?
I don’t think there is a specific way to describe my style. Around here, it’s all about comfort because I’m moving around so much. I love black and lately I’ve been mixing things like black jeans with a neon top. I’ve also been trying to wear more collared preppy pieces. It’s also safe to say I have every single AE Chambray Shirt, and then some!

If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be doing?
I would possibly be a Veterinarian. As funny as that sounds, it’s something I’ve always wanted to do. Or I would be very nomadic and not have a job and travel to other countries…meeting new people, trying new foods, and still probably taking lots of photos.

What is the one thing you wear everyday?
I wear these specific three bracelets and my watch everyday. It’s my arm party!

Lauren's arm party.