Thursday, June 28, 2012

Employee Profiles: Stephanie O., Senior International Marketing Coordinator

American Eagle currently has stores in 12 countries and will be in 13 countries by the end of 2012. None of this would be possible without the hard work of Senior International Marketing Coordinator Stephanie O. and her team.

Stephanie O., Senior International Marketing Coordinator


How did you get your start at AE?
I actually started out at AE as an executive assistant in IT in 2007. My boss knew marketing was my background and passion and where I wanted to go. Everyone was very supportive to help me on that path. I worked in PR at AE prior to being in the marketing department as well and worked with the SVP of International at that time on press releases announcing our global expansion, which got me interested in the international part of the business.

What is the most fun part of your job?
Learning all the different cultural and consumer behaviors of different markets and being able to work with people from all over the world. The other day we were on a conference call here in Pittsburgh with our team in NY, and partners in Poland and the Middle East. 

What is a typical day like for you?
It usually starts pretty early with conference calls. We have a weekly call with each of our international partners in all of our markets. The calls are early in the morning to accommodate the time difference.  Prior to the calls, I review all of the emails that came in through the night since most of our partners have completed a full day of work, or close to it, by the time I come start in the morning.

What tips do you have for someone who wants to be in international marketing?

Having a passion for where you work and an acute attention to detail are important.  Equally key is the desire to learn about other areas of the world and the ability to think outside of the domestic retail business.

Do you have any special interest or hobbies?
Definitely travel.  I love to travel whenever I get the chance. I like doing different home decorating things that I find on Pinterest. I also like to cook a lot. 

Stephanie's wedding Pinterest board for her upcoming wedding.

Where do you find your inspiration?
Like most, I’m a huge Pinterest fan. I’m getting married in August, so I’m always on there looking for wedding ideas and often find myself with new recipes, style inspiration and home decor. There’s a lot of really great stuff on there. I would say I’m addicted!

If you weren’t working at AE, what would you want to be doing?
I would want to still do something in marketing, particularly brand management or consumer behavior. I love putting all the pieces together and working to build a brand identity. I received my undergraduate degree & MBA in Brand Management.  I also find it very interesting how people react to marketing and why they do or don’t want to purchase a product based off how something is marketed.

What are you most excited about for the future of AE internationally?
Bringing the brand to new markets and having them learn about what we have to offer in terms of denim, lifestyle, a great assortment of product and seeing that growth and being a part of it.

Where are your favorite travel destinations – domestically or internationally?
One of my favorite cities is Prague. I love that it is so old world and that it looks like it is completely from a fairy tale. Personally, I’m hoping we open stores there at some point! I also love anywhere in the Caribbean or by the beach!

Stephanie during her trip to Prague