Thursday, July 19, 2012

Employee Profiles: AE.com Creative Director, Brandon A.

Brandon A., Creative Director for AE, manages all of the teams who work on creative assets for AE.com. We sat down with him to talk about his path from intern to Creative Director, what he's most excited about for Back to School and more.
 
Brandon A., AE.com Creative Director

What is your background?
I went to school for graphic design & communications at LaRoche, it’s a small private school in the North Hills.

How did you get your start at AE?
I knew an intern here and he got me an internship. I was hired full time right when I graduated as a graphic designer in 2004 and I’ve been here ever since. I was a graphic designer, than senior designer, then art director, then senior art director and now creative director.

Right now I manage all of the teams that own all the creative for the website for both AE and Aerie – basically, I’m hanging out, shooting a nerf gun, riding a scooter, having fun.

What are your favorite projects that you have worked on at AE?
The launch of the Times Square billboard was pretty cool. There’s so many, it’s like a blur.

The AE Billboard in Times Square


What are your favorite parts of your job?
That I can show up every day in jeans and a t-shirt and work with cool people and do what I like.

What would you tell yourself at age 18 to help get into a creative role?
I would tell him that he needs to be passionate about what he does and be honest. It needs to be a little piece of you that you can’t turn off. It’s not 9-5. Every little piece of you needs to be about design.

Where do you find your inspiration?

Everywhere.

What are you most excited for with the BTS campaign?
We did this casting page that has bios of every kid. I’m pretty pumped about that. I’m also excited about the contest letting the customers take over our brand.

Do you have any special interests or hobbies?
I like to cook. Everything is better when it is cooked on an open flame.

What are your favorite places in Pittsburgh?
PNC Park, there’s a little shaved ice shop called Yia Yia’s Ice on the North Side (you get shaved ice for a quarter), and the Strip District.

Brandon and his family at Yia Yia's

You’re a new dad. Tell us about your daughter.
She’s radical. She’s the coolest little person ever. She makes everything better. Everything that used to be a priority is not, in a good way. And she laughs when she farts.