Wednesday, June 8, 2011

AE Intern: Seventeen Magazine Cover Girl?


Seventeen Magazine is running a contest where girls can enter to be featured on the October 2011 cover. They are looking for “Pretty Amazing” girls who are inspirational, as well as beautiful inside and out. Zoe Damacela, a 19 year old girl from Chicago, is one of the five finalists. Her story is one many girls can relate to: she lived with a single mother who struggled to make ends meet. Ever determined, Zoe started designing her own clothes and even enrolled in businesses classes. Now, she sells clothes from her dorm room and on her site zoedamacela.com. Tyra Banks was even photographed wearing one of Zoe’s dresses! On top of that, she’s an intern at American Eagle, so we did a quick interview with her:

How did fashion change your life?
Fashion changed my life so much. I came from humble beginnings, but through fashion I was able to become financially independent as well as more happy and confident! Now I'm excited because I'm helping other kids do the same!

What inspires your designs?
My designs are inspired by a lot of different things. Sometimes it's just a mood I'm in or a color I see or the music I listen to. I once got inspired by some old drapes and made a bunch of really cute shorts out of them! I've made dresses out of paper bags and zippers and even corn husks!

What are you looking forward to in your internship with American Eagle?
I am absolutely obsessed with American Eagle and when I found out what an amazing company it is I was even more excited to work there! I think that I can learn so much from working at American Eagle! And hopefully my background will be a unique perspective that can be a big asset to the company as well!

What would being on the cover of Seventeen Magazine mean to you?
Being on the cover of Seventeen Magazine would mean the world to me! I think it's every girl's dream to be on the cover of Seventeen! We all grew up reading it and I can hardly believe how fortunate I have been to even have a chance to be on the cover! I am so excited!!! Seventeen is an incredible magazine and I hope if I win, all the girls reading Seventeen will be inspired by my story to go out and live their dreams! I really want to share my story with the world and help the next generation of young entrepreneurs and fashion designers out there!

What advice do you have for young girls?
My advice for young girls is to never listen to the naysayers! I've had many people tell me that my business would never succeed and that it was silly to even try. But you can't listen to negative people. If you have a passion and a great idea, go for it no matter what anyone says. Girls can do anything!

We wish Zoe the best of luck. Check out these pictures of her wearing original designs, and make sure to vote for her to be on the cover of Seventeen Magazine by CLICKING HERE.